Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Surprised But Not

Well it's official.  Jon and Kate are splitting up.  While I wasn't surprised by the announcement (it had been speculated for quite some time) I was surprised by the presence the show has on the web.  Besides a web site that now seems required for all television shows, Kate maintains her own blog. Visitors were encouraged to leave positive comments of support for poor Kate. 

It dawned on me that we need to teach children how to operate within the ever-expanding cybercommunity that they now exist within. Just because you CAN blog about the demise of your marriage, should you?  What is private and what should be opened for public viewing? At what age do we begin to discuss with our students where to draw the line between public display and privacy?  I don't have the answer, but I'm sure my level of comfort will be much different than their own.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you made the connection between "US Weekly Life" and real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been watching some of the Jon and Kate plus 8 stuff as well. I hate to think how difficult it would be to have to deal with the things that Kate must deal with on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the entertainment industry ALL publicity is good publicity.
    On the Internet, the object for any celebrity is the have a high hit count on Google.

    ReplyDelete